REJUVENATED CFH RACING TEAM HEADS TO THE WEST COAST FOR 500 MILES OF RACING AT AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY
Team Claimed A 1-2 Finish At Most Recent Event in Toronto
(SPEEDWAY, Ind.) June 23, 2015 – Advance Notes
-After enjoying their first weekend off since early April, CFH Racing drivers Josef Newgarden and Ed Carpenter, along with their mechanics and engineers, are rested and ready for Saturday’s 500-mile race at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
– CFH Racing is coming off the highest of highs after a spectacular 1-2 finish at the last race in the streets of Toronto. Newgarden, driver of the No. 67 Hartman Oil Chevrolet, claimed the victory 1.4 seconds ahead of teammate Luca Filippi in the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Car. A strategy call to pit early to switch from rain tires to slicks vaulted Newgarden to the front of the field, where he battled the rest of the race. Meanwhile, Filippi raced forward from his career-best starting position of 6th and was Newgarden’s biggest challenger at the end of the event.
– Auto Club Speedway has been the backdrop of much success for CFH Racing, with team co-owner Carpenter finishing on the podium each of the last three years. Newgarden earned one of his best starting positions last year at the 2-mile oval, starting on the front row after qualifying third.
– Carpenter won the 2012 MAVTV 500 with a final-lap pass over Dario Franchitti, securing his first victory as both an owner and driver. 2012 was the first season of competition for Ed Carpenter Racing, which merged with Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing over the offseason to form CFH Racing.
– The Indianapolis native found himself on the podium again in 2013 (2nd place) and 2014 (3rd place). Carpenter is the only driver to finish on the podium in each race since the Verizon IndyCar Series returned to Auto Club Speedway in 2012 after a six-year hiatus.
– In the previous three events at Auto Club Speedway, Carpenter has led 65 laps. Newgarden led his first career Verizon IndyCar Series lap at the track during his rookie year in 2012. Carpenter has six previous starts on the oval track located outside of Los Angeles; Newgarden has three
– The 24-year-old Newgarden is having a career-best season since joining the Verizon IndyCar Series four years ago, capturing two wins in the past seven races. His victory at Barber Motorsports Park in late April was the first of his IndyCar career. The Hendersonville, Tenn.-native has finished in the Top 10 of half of the events this year.
– With his win two weeks ago in Toronto, Newgarden joined Juan Pablo Montoya and Scott Dixon as two-time winners through 10 races this season. CFH Racing is now ranked with Team Penske and Chip Ganassi Racing as the only teams with multiple victories in so far in 2015.
– The 2015 MAVTV 500 will feature 250 laps and is one of three 500-mile events on this year’s schedule. The race be broadcast live on NBC Sports Network at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 27.
ED CARPENTER, NO. 20 FUZZY’S VODKA CHEVROLET: “It is always exciting to go back to Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. It has been a track that we have had a great history at the past three years with a podium each year. We have really been struggling on the ovals so far this year, but I feel like Fontana is a great track to get things turned around. We have been working very hard to make sure we go there with a good plan to address some of the struggles that we have had. I can’t wait to get on track and get back up to speed.”
JOSEF NEWGARDEN, NO. 67 HARTMAN OIL CHEVROLET: “I am really excited to get to Auto Club Speedway. We’ve had a lot of work to do since Texas and have put a lot of effort in at the shop to be as prepared as we can going into Fontana. Hopefully we can keep the good results rolling after Toronto! I have a lot of faith in all of our guys. We have a lot of good, smart people on the team and I am looking forward to a solid weekend in California.”
- Previous CFH RACING CELEBRATES 1-2 FINISH IN THE STREETS OF TORONTO
- Next ED CARPENTER EARNS CAREER-BEST STARTING POSITION AT AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY