CFH RACING CONFIDENT CONTINUED SUCCESS WITHIN REACH AT IOWA SPEEDWAY
Carpenter, Newgarden Coming Off Strong Finishes In Last Weekend’s Short Oval Event
(SPEEDWAY, Ind.) July 14, 2015 – Race Preview
– The diverse racing of the Verizon IndyCar Series continues this week as CFH Racing competes at the .875-mile oval of Iowa Speedway, the shortest track drivers Ed Carpenter and Josef Newgarden will face this season.
– CFH Racing claimed two spots in the top five of last year’s Iowa Corn 300, with Carpenter finishing 5th and Newgarden earning his first career podium on an oval with a 2nd place result. Both drivers made a late race pit stop for fresh tires with less than 15 laps to go, helping them vault to the front of the field by the time the checkered flag flew.
– In his seven starts at the track located in Newton, Iowa, Carpenter has finished in the top 10 five times. When he gets behind the wheel of his No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet this weekend, he will be looking to top his best Iowa Speedway finish of 4th, which came in 2013.
– Wichita State University (WSU) will be featured on Newgarden’s Chevrolet at Iowa Speedway, continuing the partnership from 2014. As part of the program, WSU engineering students will join the team at the track to learn the inner workings of an IndyCar team. CFH Racing co-owner Wink Hartman hails from Wichita, Kan. making Iowa Speedway his home race.
– Carpenter will make a special appearance for Fuzzy’s Vodka on Thursday, July 16th. He will be signing bottles of Fuzzy’s Checkered Flag Edition Vodka at the Hi-Vee in West Des Moines, Iowa, located at 555 S. 51st Street from 5-6 pm CT.
– At last weekend’s event at the Milwaukee Mile, Newgarden earned his first career pole position and first for the team since Carpenter’s run prior to the 2014 Indianapolis 500. Newgarden led 109 of the race’s 250 laps on his way to a 5th place finish. Carpenter, who started 22nd, drove up to as high as 3rd place before finishing 10th.
– Newgarden’s pole is the latest in his string of accomplishments this season. He captured two wins in seven races, including his first career IndyCar victory at Barber Motorsports Park in late April. He beat his road and street course teammate Luca Filippi in the streets of Toronto in mid-June, leading CFH Racing to its first ever 1-2 finish.
– The 2015 Iowa Corn 300 will take place Saturday, June 18th. The television broadcast beings at 8 pm ET on NBC Sports Network, prior to the green flag at 8:50 pm.
ED CARPENTER, NO. 20 FUZZY’S VODKA CHEVROLET: “Iowa is always one of my favorite races of the year. It is a really cool, unique track and Iowa has great open wheel fans. Josef (Newgarden) and I both had good cars in Milwaukee and I expect that to carry over to Iowa for another great race. Hopefully we can get both cars on the podium together again.”
JOSEF NEWGARDEN, NO. 67 WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY CHEVROLET: “We’re going to head to Iowa Speedway with a lot of confidence. The team has really responded to anything and everything that has been thrown at them this year. We had a solid performance in Milwaukee, we weren’t able to close the deal on a win, but we were knocking on the door. I feel very confident that we can go to Iowa with a strong racecar and keep CFH Racing running up front.”
- Previous NEWGARDEN WINS POLE POSITION FOR ABC SUPPLY WISCONSIN 250; FINISHES 5TH
- Next NEWGARDEN FINISHES SECOND AGAIN AT IOWA SPEEDWAY