ED CARPENTER RACING LOOKING FOR A STRONG START TO THE MONTH OF MAY
On-Track Activity Begins This Weekend with the INDYCAR Grand Prix
INDIANAPOLIS (May 7, 2019) – Race Preview
– Opening weekend at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is home to the INDYCAR Grand Prix, the road course race which winds through the infield and incorporates portions of the famous oval. Ed Carpenter Racing will begin the month of on-track activity with a two car effort in the INDYCAR Grand Prix before moving to three cars for the Indianapolis 500. Spencer Pigot and Ed Jones will compete for ECR in Saturday’s 85-lap race.
– The 2018 INDYCAR Grand Prix saw Pigot advance to the second round of qualifying for the first time in his career and start 9th. Contact with another car in only the fifth turn of the first lap sent Pigot over the curb and soaring into the air. The front air jack was broken when the car landed and Pigot fell to 23rd as a result of extended time in the pit lane during pit stops. In the closing stages of the race, he regained lead-lap status and picked up eight positions to finish 15th. After running over debris from another car near the end of the event, both of Jones’s left-side tires were punctured. The unscheduled pit stop dropped him to the back of the field and he would finish 22nd.
– The No. 20 Ed Carpenter Racing Scuderia Corsa Chevrolet of Jones will sport the distinct blue and white colors of longtime ECR partner Preferred Freezer Services in the INDYCAR Grand Prix. Following this weekend’s race, Jones will move to the No. 63 Ed Carpenter Racing Scuderia Corsa Chevrolet for the rest of the month. Team owner and oval driver Ed Carpenter will step back into the No. 20 Preferred Freezer Services Chevrolet for the Indianapolis 500, his first race of the year.
– Pigot’s No. 21 Chevrolet will showcase continued support from car care superstore Autogeek.com, remaining in the black and white scheme it has sported in the first four NTT IndyCar Series races this season. Over the last 15 years, Autogeek has risen to become one of the most reputable and trusted sources for automotive detailing products and accessories. Through detailing how-to guides and instructional videos, Autogeek provides a wealth of car care know-how for detailers, hobbyists and car care enthusiasts.
– Ed Carpenter Racing has already begun the process of moving operations from their Georgetown Road workshop to the garages of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Two weeks ago, the three ECR drivers participated in a one-day test around the 2.5-mile oval as the team shifted their focus towards the Month of May and their two hometown races. Carpenter posted the second-fastest lap of the day, followed by Pigot just behind in third and Jones showing seventh on the charts.
– The INDYCAR Grand Prix features a unique two-day schedule versus the usual three for road and street course events. Friday, May 10 will have two practice sessions, both streamed live via INDYCAR Pass through NBC Sports Gold, followed by qualifications to finish the day. NBC Sports Network will air qualifying live from 4:30-6 p.m. ET. Final warm up on Saturday, May 11 will also be available for viewing on NBC Sports Gold. The INDYCAR Grand Prix will be the first NTT IndyCar Series race shown on NBC with coverage beginning at 3 p.m. ET.
ED JONES, No. 20 Ed Carpenter Racing Scuderia Corsa Chevrolet: “I am really looking forward to the Month of May. Having the INDYCAR Grand Prix as the first of the two races is such a great way to start the month. It’s really important as it helps us get warmed up and get some good momentum going for the Indy 500. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course has been a good track to me in the past, I’ve been quick around there! ECR was also very strong there last year. I’m feeling really confident after our oval test and I’m ready to get back on track and put us in a good position for the rest of the month.”
SPENCER PIGOT, No. 21 Autogeek Chevrolet: “I’m very ready to get back to racing after a few weeks off! It’s the start of an amazing month in motorsports and hopefully a successful month for Ed Carpenter Racing. We haven’t got off to the best start for several different reasons so it will be important to have a few good results to get our championship back on track. I always enjoy the INDYCAR Grand Prix, the track provides great passing opportunities and makes for an exciting race.”
Ed Jones is in the midst of his first year driving for Ed Carpenter Racing in conjunction with Scuderia Corsa. Jones will race the No. 20 this weekend before handing the car over to team owner Ed Carpenter for the Indianapolis 500. Following his third INDYCAR Grand Prix on Saturday, Jones will move to the No. 63 for the duration of the month.
Spencer Pigot will be making his fourth appearance in the INDYCAR Grand Prix this weekend. Pigot’s best result in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course race came in 2017 when he finished 9th. At the most recent road course race this season, held at Barber Motorsports Park in early April, Pigot reached the Firestone Fast 6 for the first time and started a career-best 6th.
- Previous ED CARPENTER RACING SHIFTS FOCUS TO TOMORROW’S RACE AFTER TOUGH QUALIFYING SESSION IN LONG BEACH
- Next ED JONES REACHES FIRESTONE FAST 6 AT THE INDIANAPOLIS MOTOR SPEEDWAY