CFH RACING READY FOR RETURN TO TEXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY AS DEFENDING RACE WINNERS
Ed Carpenter Captured The Victory In 2014 Firestone 600
(SPEEDWAY, Ind.) June 2, 2015 – Advance Notes
– CFH Racing will be returning to the site of its second of three 2014 wins when the team arrives at Texas Motor Speedway for this weekend’s Firestone 600. Team co-owner Ed Carpenter claimed the victory in last year’s race.
– Carpenter started 5th in last year’s event, taking the lead from Will Power on Lap 182 of the 248-lap event. The Indianapolis native stretched his lead to over 14 seconds before a caution on Lap 241 packed up the field. On the Lap 246 restart, Carpenter was able to maintain the lead and won the race by .524 seconds.
– Carpenter led 90 laps in the 2014 race, including 66 of the final 67 laps. It was his third career win in the Verizon IndyCar Series.
– Josef Newgarden qualified on the front row of last year’s event, one of his four front-row starts in 2014. He finished 11th, three spots shy of his best career finish at Texas Motor Speedway of 8th, which occurred in 2013.
– Newgarden has competed in three races at the 1.5-mile oval outside of Fort Worth, Texas; Carpenter has 13 career starts at TMS, including four Top 10 finishes.
– Saturday night will mark Carpenter’s second race of the 2015 season. He drives the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Award Winning Vodka Chevrolet in the oval races, handing the car over to Luca Filippi for the road and street course events. Carpenter raced in the Indianapolis 500 two weeks ago, starting 12th and finishing 30th after contact with another car sent him into the wall. He is the only owner/driver competing in the Verizon IndyCar Series.
– The 24-year-old Newgarden is having the best season of his IndyCar career, claiming five Top 10 finishes in the first eight races of the year. He also captured his first career victory in late April at Barber Motorsports Park. Newgarden sits 8th in the championship point standings at the halfway point in the season.
– CFH Racing will arrive at Texas Motor Speedway for the fourth in a string of five back-to-back races, including a double-header event featuring two races at the Belle Isle Park street circuit in Detroit last weekend. This will be the 9th straight weekend of on-track activity for the Speedway, Ind.-based team.
– The 2015 Firestone 600 will take place at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 6, currently scheduled to be broadcast live on CNBC. The race will feature 248 laps with the green flag scheduled for 8:50 p.m. ET.
ED CARPENTER, NO. 20 FUZZY’S AWARD WINNING VODKA CHEVROLET: “I am really looking forward to getting back to Texas after winning there last year. The team had a tough month of May, so I am ready to go out and build some momentum to finish the season strong.”
JOSEF NEWGARDEN, NO. 67 HARTMAN OIL CHEVROLET: “Texas Motor Speedway is going to be good, I’m excited to get there! Ed (Carpenter) had a very good race there, winning last year so we’re hoping to repeat that this year. We’ve had a really fun time working together with this whole group, both the Hartman Oil crew and the Fuzzy’s Vodka crew. For me on the driving side, it’s been nice having Ed as someone to lean on and learn from. Hopefully, I can use him more at Texas, I think we’re going to have good cars going there. We just have to cross all our T’s and dot all our I’s and I think we’ll be in a good position.”
- Previous SECOND RACE OF DETROIT DOUBLEHEADER BRINGS TOUGH MONTH OF MAY TO A CLOSE FOR CFH RACING
- Next BUSY DAY AT TEXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY FOR CFH RACING